IFTTT stands for If This, Than That. It does exactly what it sounds like. IF something occurs, DO something else. In IFTTT, you create an applet where when one action occurs it triggers a response. For example, that response can be a message that is posted automatically to your space. There are hundreds of apps and applets that you can connect with your space.
Here are some more examples of applets you can make.
- When you love an Instagram photo, you can create a applet to post it to your space.
- You can also receive an alert from your Google calendar, you can receive a message in your space.
Getting started with IFTTT
If you go to your space settings, and select Apps, you'll see IFTTT as an app you can add to your space.
However, you'll manage all your applets directly in IFTTT.
Add an existing IFTTT applet to Watson Workspace
Here's an example for how to add one of the existing Watson Workspace applets to your space.
- From the list of available Watson Workspace applets, choose Automatically add photos to an album on your iOS phone to a Workspace.
- Then, click Turn on.
- Click Ok to give IFTTT permission to access Watson Workspace.
- Click Allow to give IFTTT access to Watson Workspace.
- Configure your applet. Specify or create an album that matches one on your iOS device to pull the photos from. Then, identify the space you want the photos posted to. You can also edit the message that will accompany each photo when it's posted to the space. Click Save.
- Now, test it out. Add a photo to the album on your device. Check your space!
Note: Sometimes, it can take up to an hour for your applet to be activated.
Create your own applet for Watson Workspace
- Go to the Applet Maker.
- Select +this to get started.
- Choose a service from the list provided.
- Click Connect.
- Provide your credentials for the trigger, then select Continue to the next step.
- Choose the trigger. There can be several triggers.
- Select Create trigger.
- Choose + that.
- Search for Watson Workspace. Then, click Watson Workspace.
- Connect Watson Workspace. Click Allow.
- Choose Continue to the next step and select the action, Post to space.
- Select a space and customize the message.
- Choose Create Action.
- Click Finish. You're all done!
Any app you've connected to Watson Workspace that is acting on your behalf like IFTTT, will show up under User Settings > Connected Apps. This way, you have a quick and easy way to see what apps you've connected using your credentials and revoke access if the need arises. By revoking access, the app will no longer be able to act on your behalf.